Inspire your kids to learn to cook with this amazing recipe from Junior MasterChef contestant, Ben!
Serves 4, Makes 16
500g pork scotch fillet steak, cut into strips
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp fermented red soy bean paste
2 tbsp caster sugar
3 tbsp honey
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 garlic clove, finely grated
1 knob ginger, finely grated
300g plain flour
60g caster sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
Vegetable oil, to grease
½ cup rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 tsp salt flakes
1 carrot, julienned
2 tbsp dashi stock (2 tbsp water + 1 sachet of bonito flavoured seasoning)
2 tbsp tahini
1 tbsp shiro miso
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp mirin
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tbsp sesame seeds
Julienned cucumber, to serve
Coriander leaves, to serve
White sesame seeds, to serve
1. For the Pork, combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and toss together. Set aside to marinate for at least 45 minutes.
2. For the Bao Buns, combine all ingredients in a food processor and process until ingredients come together. Transfer to the bench and knead until smooth.
3. Place dough in a medium bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 20 minutes.
4. Once rested, shape the dough into a log and portion into 16 evenly sized balls. Lightly grease each portion with oil and use a rolling pin to roll each into 9cm discs. Fold each disc in half and place on a small piece of baking paper in a deep tray. Cover the tray with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm place for 10 minutes or until slightly risen.
5. For the Carrot Pickle, combine vinegar, sugar and salt in a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Add carrot and toss through. Set aside for at least 30 minutes then drain, discarding liquid.
6. For the Goma Dare, dissolve bonito seasoning in water. Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
7. To assemble, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil and place a bamboo steamer basket over. In batches, place the buns, still on paper into the steamer in a single layer. Steam buns for 6-8 minutes or until dough bounces back when lightly touched.
8. Meanwhile, heat a large frying pan over high heat. Add pork and marinade and cook for 3-4 minutes.
9. To serve, fill Bao Buns with Pork, Carrot Pickle, cucumber, coriander and Goma Dare. Scatter sesame seeds over.